Friday, April 4, 2014

Strong

Me:  I feel like I'm weak.

Therapist:  Why?  Doing what's best for your family makes you strong.

Thankfully Therapist had an opening yesterday and I could go in and be angry and hash through everything that happened (or didn't happen as the case is) over the past week and a half.  The last failed match I was angry that D dragged us through her chaos all the while insisting that she knew this was what she needed/wanted and it's what she wanted for Baby A.  I was angry that she didn't own up to wanting to parent before we took him home from the hospital.  Logically, I know that it may have taken her trying to make the break before she realized she was making a huge mistake, but the emotions that I went through were anything but logical.   I'm angry again, but I'm angry at a different person in a totally different situation.  I'm angry that Baby N may end up in the foster system because of this person's actions (or inaction as the case is at the moment).  And I say shame on you to the person who has not made any kind of progress towards claiming their right to parent.  Shame on you for not being there for your child.  Shame on you for not being supportive the months you knew about the situation, and shame on you for not picking up the fucking phone to find out what's going on and what you need to do. 

It's hard to own up to this anger as an adoptive parent.  We are supposed to say and do the right things, think child-centric, be compassionate to the parents, and sometimes to let ourselves get hurt during the process.  Because we do get hurt during the process.  As I face another failed match, I've been thinking about the anti- people.  The people who would gleefully read my posts about heartache over someone else's baby.  The people who would gladly target me (and who have) as a baby-stealer.  The people who would ask me why I don't adopt from foster care because those are the children who need it.  That's the one that hurts the most.  Why don't I look into foster?  Why can't I do that?

I. Just. Can't.  I am not wired to live my life constantly in limbo.  When I'm in limbo physically or emotionally, my life falls apart.  Stress takes over and it's all I can do to keep moving forward one day at a time.  Everything suffers from my concentration at work to patience in dealing with people close to me.  When I'm in limbo I live in a constant state of when will it happen, how will it happen, what will happen?  It sucks and I can't do it.  I would love to be the type of person who can do it.  Who is ready at any moment to pick up a child, and care for them until some sort of resolution comes along.  We could have moved ahead with a formal placement with Baby N knowing that he may be leaving our home at any time.  If it goes to the county, the county may remove him because we are not foster parents as we haven't gone through the training.  The county could leave him in our home, and then we could wait out the lengthy process of whose rights get terminated, or not.  At the end of the process, Baby N may stay in our home, or not.  The point is, we don't know what will happen.  We would be signing ourselves up for months or years of limbo.

Is that fair to Baby X?  No.  I need to be there for Baby X.  He doesn't need his parents to be distracted by the what-ifs of this case.  He needs us, present and aware and not emotional heaps of nerves. We need to be there for each other, and we need to recognize what we are capable of and where our boundaries are.  Boundaries make us strong, and knowing when to walk away makes us strong.

I recognize what I can and can not handle.  I am strong.  I gave Baby N more emotional support over a week and half than anyone had given him in the first few weeks of his life.  All I can hope, is that it helped him.  All I can hope is that my hurt is not for nothing.

And the anti-people can kiss my ass.

13 comments:

  1. You're therapist is right. You are strong.

    You are strong enough to realize what you can and cannot handle. You are strong enough to realize what is best for your family and act on it despite your inner desire to wrap that baby up and protect him. You. Are. Strong.

    It is ok to hurt. It is ok to have the feelings you have. Most people do not understand how emotionally hard it is to go through the adoption process. If they don't understand, they shouldn't judge.

    There are no words to help you with what you are going through right now. Just know that your readers are thinking of you.

    And thank you for writing and being so honest about what you are dealing with.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me cry. I have been following since the match seemed like a go (via my iphone, which meant I couldn't comment, blech). But I have been rooting for you and your family through the uncertainty of it all and I commend you SO MUCH for being there for Baby X b/c that's what he/she needed so desperately.

    Be mad. Be sad. Grieve. You are entitled ... and yes, those anti-people can kiss your ass. They can kiss my ass.

    Adoptive parents have emotions too and we often don't feel entitled to feel what we are actually feeling. It's so isolating.

    I think you are amazing. You have given so much and have extended yourself to focus on this baby. You were attaching when you knew there was no guarantee. I feel in my heart of hearts that this will serve Baby X so well in life ... he/she had a mom right there with him/her in the early moments of life and you know what, that really matters. You are a role model mama.

    Hugs hugs hugs. You may feel weak, but you are an inspiration of strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you're going through this again (and that I have nothing to say but I'm sorry again). The logistics of foster care are HARD, even setting aside the emotional part. You are being a good parent to X by acknowledging that, and I'm sure that newbaby felt your love and support at a crucial time in his life. He will be okay and so will you. And yes, the anti-people can kiss all of our asses! Adoption exists, and we do our best. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs to you. I get so annoyed when I hear (or read, in the case of Internet forums) someone suggest adopting from foster care as opposed to newborn adoption or international adoption because "there are kids here that really need families." Most irritating is that this is usually said by a "well-meaning" FERTILE person who has biological children (so parented from the newborn stage on) and who has never considered adoption themselves. You shouldn't have to justify your choices. Not everybody is cut to be foster parents and adoption from the foster care system is not easy when the goal of foster care is to reunite families. There is nothing wrong with wanting to parent a child from birth either.
    Sorry for the soapbox. This was a pet peeve of mine when we were planning an adopting internationally. It sucks that life is so unfair sometimes. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I don't until the anti-people. Who could feel okay about themselves while wishing pain on others? I'm so sorry you're going through this, and I am SURE your support of this baby will make a difference in his life. Your pain is not for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you!!! You are strong. It is really hard to identify and honor our boundaries but it is so necessary for our own well-being and that of others. I'm sorry you are going through all of this. I wish you well as you navigate this and as you look toward the next chapter in your family building. I also send well wishes to this baby and hope that a beneficial resolution comes soon to his life. So so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm unsure how your situation is a win for the anti-adoption supporters. This child's life is in limbo. He is not with anyone, let alone his biological family. This is not a "win" for anyone, most especially the child. And it is certainly not something to celebrate.
    I am sorry that this match was a fail for you. I hope that baby is placed in a stable home soon. An infant alone in the world is a very sad predicament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many anti-adoption supporters generalize adoption situations. My point is that sometimes we are faced with incredibly sad situations where the answer is obvious, and support (programs, money, etc) wouldn't change it. You can't fix someone who doesn't want to be fixed.

      Delete
  8. Hugs. You are very strong, and it's OK to acknowledge what you can or can't accept. Unlike those without fertility struggles, we have to have that conversation with ourselves and partners every step of the way. I am glad you have talked about the anger and the "proper" image you must present as an adoptive parent. I know I would be feeling angry and helpless too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must very tired of having to defend your feelings. Adoption always seems like such a simple thing to suggest and yet when you enter that world, it's anything but. We all need to have our feelings heard and validated. I'm glad you've drawn boundaries, you do what you have to. Yes, it is sad that Baby N is in limbo; you do not set that in motion. You have to do what is best for you and your family right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohmygoodness. I'm just now getting caught up. Ohmy you've been through the wringer. I'm so sorry for all the frustrations and what-ifs and broken people who keep crossing your path.

    I don't consider you one of them. I agree with Suzanne and your therapist -- you are strong. It takes strength to allow anger to take its course. I for one am glad you're feeling your feelings.

    Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed this one too. Yes- I totally agree about the anti- people too. I am not someone who can do foster care, not in our state anyways. And not while V is a child, I don't need her in a place of wondering if she can be taken away. I would think about foster care later in life, but for me it is not the way to build our family/ resolve childlessness. I am a very sensitive person too, and knowing a little about what you've shared about your history on this blog, i think it makes sense as to why you might be more sensitive than others.

    This limbo is really hard, I am so sorry that you've been through two failed matches. I don't blame you for having anger and caring for that child and wanting better for him even if it's not with you. It's hard to say what's best for a child, but that doesn't seem like it. Thinking of you. .

    ReplyDelete